The PACE model of care can be traced to the early 1970s when the Chinatown-North Beach community of San Francisco saw the pressing needs of families whose elders had immigrated from Italy, China and the Philippines for long-term care services. Dr. William L. Gee, a public health dentist, headed the committee that hired Marie-Louise Ansak in 1971 to investigate solutions. Along with other community leaders, Gee and Ansak formed a nonprofit corporation, On Lok Senior Health Services, to create a community-based system of care. On Lok is Cantonese for “peaceful, happy abode.”
McGregor traces its roots to the Home for Aged Women, one of Cleveland’s first private nursing homes, built in 1877 by railroad tycoon Amasa Stone and his wife Julia. In 1930, Stone’s son-in-law, the philanthropist Samuel Mather, dedicated the new Amasa Stone House to replace the original. It served the inner-city Glenville community for nearly 75 years.
Meanwhile, in 1904, Tootie McGregor built the first A.M. McGregor Home in East Cleveland to honor her late husband, Ambrose, a close associate of John D. Rockefeller. In 1987, the Amasa Stone and McGregor organizations merged to form The A.M. McGregor Home. Eventually, operations were consolidated on McGregor’s 32-acre campus of woods and meadow overlooking East Cleveland and Lake Erie.
In 1999, The McGregor board began a strategic redirection of the organization that has included expanded direct care operations, independent housing, and grantmaking. In addition, the Board established The A.M. McGregor Group to provide administrative services and strategic oversight to the various McGregor entities.
In 2010, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Ohio Department of Aging have chosen The A.M. McGregor Group to manage the local Program of the All-inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).