Join us for a Period of Reflection ~ JUNETEENTHFriday, June 19, 2020
McGregor PACE Participants, Families and/or Caregivers
Join us for a "Period of Reflection"
For more Click here: #PACE for Black Lives
Period of Reflection Friday, June 19, #PACEforBlackLives
NPA applauds Huron Valley PACE in Ypsilanti, MI for their efforts to support the Black Lives Matter movement. NPA and the NPA Executive Committee encourages all individuals in PACE to join in at Noon ET next Friday for a PACE day in support of Black Lives.
Campaign: PACE for Black Lives
Vision: To acknowledge racism as a threat to the health, well-being, and quality of life of people of color.
Mission: Encourage PACE organizations to publicly recognize racism as a public health issue and to support the end of racial inequality in our communities.
- Background: Racism is a public health crisis. '
- Poverty, a fruit of racism, worsens the public health crisis.
- Racism restricts access to the resources and opportunities required for a healthy life. Black Americans and other communities of color live sicker and die sooner than White Americans.
- Injustices accumulate throughout the lives of elderly persons of color. Racial disparities are readily evident in the final years of life for older adults of color, affecting every system in the body, even changing DNA.
- Our PACE participants are living in history. PACE organizations have the privilege of caring for individuals who have lived through every injustice, large and small, recent memory. Their stories, and the suffering we witness as a result of those traumas, are daily reminders of why we must work tirelessly to dismantle racism in all of its forms.
The PACE Model of Care aims to be "the most innovative, accessible, valuable and effective model of care" for individuals with significant health care needs, a disproportionate number of whom are Black Americans and other persons of color. There is no room for injustice, discrimination, or racism in PACE. PACE stands with Black Americans and other persons of color.
Plan: PACE organizations throughout the country are asked to participate in a Period of Reflection. PACE staff members are asked to go outside of their PACE centers and kneel for 9 minutes. PACE organizations are encouraged to share photos on social media in solidarity with this nationwide movement using #PACE4BlackLives.
Period of Reflection: Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:00 pm ET.