Determine the Best Senior Care Environment for Your Loved One
What to Look for in an Adult Day Health Center
If you are the primary caregiver for an elderly parent-whether he or she lives with you or continues to live independently-you may be wondering whether there are any resources that can help support you and your loved one. The PACE program offers adult day health centers that serve eligible seniors with a variety of amenities, activities, and medical services.
The first question is to determine when your loved one is ready to benefit from an adult day health center like McGregor PACE. Consider if any of the following apply to your senior:
- Feelings of isolation or loneliness
- Cannot be left alone safely
- Does not want to be left alone due to anxiety
- Has difficulty structuring his or her day
- Has difficulty focusing on any activity, even watching TV or having a conversation
Adult day care centers like McGregor PACE serve our aging seniors but also their caregivers. If you work during the day and are increasingly afraid to leave your loved one at home alone, or if you’re experiencing feelings of overwhelm, frustration, and anxiety, it may be time to consider adult day care. To make the right choice of an adult day health center, think about what is important to you. Your list may include:
- A safe and secure environment for your senior during the day
- Variety of social activities
- Home support like chore services, home health care, or home meals
- Assistance with daily living tasks like bathing or remembering to take medications
- Therapy services
- General health and wellness monitoring
- Exercise opportunities
- Support for a healthy diet
- Transportation for your senior to and from the center
As you speak to and visit different adult active care centers, have your questions ready. Be sure to ask about a variety of things like participants’ access to medical care, ancillary services, and activities, and how they involve and communicate with seniors’ caregivers and their family members. Understand what home support services they offer to help seniors continue to live independently in their own homes.
Whether you need full care for your senior during your work hours or just the occasional morning or day free to take care of your own responsibilities, a center like McGregor PACE may be right for you and your family. As an adult active-care center, McGregor PACE offers many services including meals, recreational activities, and socialization opportunities. We also take an interdisciplinary approach to providing comprehensive medical services for your loved one. There will be a team of therapists, nurses, doctors, and staff members fully dedicated to your parent’s care.
Learn more about eligibility for seniors and reach out to our team with any specific questions. We look forward to helping you learn more about the PACE program and our McGregor PACE adult day health centers in Cuyahoga County.