According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 1,200 senior citizens die in fires every year. Many of these fire deaths could have been prevented. Seniors are especially vulnerable because many live alone and can’t respond quickly. Senior may also require the use of oxygen units creating added risk.
Following are a few tips to help you stay safe:
- Keep open flames more than 10 feet away from oxygen units.
- Keep oxygen units six feet away from heat sources and all electrical devices/cords.
- Have kitchen appliances repaired and cleaned.
- Closely monitor the stove while cooking.
- Store any flammable liquids in a cool, ventilated place.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets.
- Keep portable heaters away from people and combustibles.
- Plan two escapes from each bedroom.
- Don’t smoke in bed.
- Avoid smoking in any room with flammable liquids, combustible gases or oxygen.